Wednesday, December 7, 2011

burlap.

Happy December, Everybody! Seems pretty crazy that December is already here. I've been living in Asia for six weeks now. Wow, six weeks. Part of me feels like there's no way I've already been here for that long, but I think the majority of me feels like I've done & seen & felt too many things for it to just have been six weeks!


At Daughters, we are in the middle of packing up so many finished items! 


There's burlap EVERYWHERE. I spend my time surrounded by it, and I come home every evening with my tights covered in strings & material & burlap fuzz. It's the lasting reminder of a good day! 


It's an amazing feeling to see all the rows & rows of filled boxes - knowing how much has gone into every stitch. It's completely beautiful to be doing the work that I'm doing. It's a wonderful business ministry that Molly & Dylan have dreamed up with the Lord. It's a great honor to be here during this season of my life.


Want to see what we've been up to? I'll show you in pictures! 


This is an example of the pillows we are making! There are five designs we are doing now - in two sizes. The one pictured is the smaller size, about 9 x 13 inches, plus the burlap border.

This is the burlap bunny for our "blessed" pillows. Let me just say that I've cut, traced,  & pasted many many burlap bunnies! I feel very close to them!

These are the individual embroidery pieces for the pillows. I did the "love" one as I was teaching one of the newer daughters how to hand stitch. 
Three examples of saree blankets the women are making!

I'm making a quilt with the unneeded scraps from the sarees! Seriously, quilt-making is a great love I have!


Now, picture a 2-story building with 83 (so far) full boxes downstairs, grassmats with all of the finished products waiting to be packaged, 19 AMAZING women working upstairs (with their sewing machines, scissors, measuring tapes, & voices all making their own noise), our cook clanging pots in the attached kitchen, babies and young children chattering in the nursery, and the ever-constant sounds of the city outside - and that's the joyful busyness that I get to experience every single day!  

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome Ashley. 83 boxes! And it's crazy how fast time flies when you're doing something new. Heather and I have been married for 4 months! And I've been at Aldersgate now for almost 6 months! Cherish every moment, because the 6 months will be over before you know it.

    ReplyDelete