Saturday, November 5, 2011

the next three days.

Highlights of October 28th through 30th, plus a little more from Thursday. It was the weekend, so Daughters was closed & the kids were all home from school (some of the older kids have half-days of school on Saturdays...but they were back by lunchtime):

  • I got 5 new kurtas on Thursday! They are amazing and it was so much fun picking them out. They each cost about $8 to $10 USD. I will wear a kurta every day at Daughters. The women are very traditional when it comes to dress & they really appreciate it when I dress nicely as well. I tried to get 5 very different ones...and I think I succeeded at that. I also got 3 pairs of churidars...which are the leggings that go along with the kurtas.
My five new kurtas. The yellow one is a little shorter & has to be worn with pants, but the others can be worn with my churidar leggings. I got gray, black, & brown churidars.
  • After getting the kurtas, we ate lunch at a restaurant called The Only Place (because it's the only place you can get beef & steak cooked american style - & Molly, Dylan, TG, & Erin were craving beef...since they get it very rarely. We had fresh lime soda at the restaurant which was SO GOOD.
  • Erin & I rode an auto rickshaw back to our village...that's definitely an experience. The roads are small & dusty & full of puddles - and the traffic pattern isn't exactly organized. So it makes for a fun ride! 
  • I went to a birthday party for 2 of the teenaged girls, Mali & Pooja. The way it works with the older girls is that they plan a party & host it in their house at K-homes in honor of the birthday girl. They got a ride into town and bought coke, oreos, ice cream, and chocolate candy. We all prayed for Mali & Pooja - such a wonderful part of the birthday celebration. And then we ate the party food & played some games. The best part was that afterwards, we danced & sang to their ipod for about 2 hours - such a wonderful time to be with the girls! We seriously had so much fun. We were each sweating by the time the party was over...that's how you know it was a good time!
  • Erin, Melinda, and I made macaroni & cheese one night & ate it in our room as we watched Mulan on a laptop. That was a fun, relaxing evening.
That's Erin. She is also 26 & is from Gainesville, GA. I knew her brother at UGA.
  • On Sunday we had Fasting Prayer. This is something that I have been really looking forward to - since I heard Tammy speak seven years ago. What an amazing gift to be able to set ourselves apart and devote undivided attention to the Lord as we pray. I know I am going to grow and learn so much about hearing from the Lord as I continue to experience fasting prayer here. We will have it every other Sunday. (And the weeks we don't have fasting prayer we will have a campfire on that Saturday night!!! Woohoo for that!)
  • I eat most meals with the kids - alternating groups each meal. It's such a sweet time to sit & eat with these awesome children & teenagers. Definitely a highlight of my day!
I think about you each all the time! Keep in touch with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment