Wednesday, February 15, 2012

precious peter.

There’s an awesome boy at K-home that I want to tell you about. His name is Peter and he just turned six years old. He is so cute & fun & really sweet  – but he is also FULL of mischievous energy, has a TEMPER, and ALWAYS is getting himself into trouble. He is deemed “the worst kid in school” by the administration at his elementary school – and he is only in kindergarten! He doesn’t make friends very well and isn’t fully attaching himself to his brothers, sisters, & house parents – which contributes to a lack of personal concern about his bad behavior.

Tammy (the director at K-Home) LOVES her child and her heart aches over the troubling details of Peter’s life. She has decided that he needs to move into her little house with her – instead of living with the other boys his age in their house. Tammy wants to pour life and encouragement into Peter and help him form deeper attachments and connect to his emotional needs. Woohoo for a plan!

However, Tammy has ZERO room for Peter in her house. There’s no extra bedroom and no space for even a makeshift room. Tammy’s living room would be the only possible choice, but that’s the place where all the kids can gather. She watches movies with them there, she helps with homework, she listens to their stories, she prays for them, and sometimes she even gets a little peace & quiet – all in the main room of her house.  It would be detrimental to take that space away!!

So that means in order to have Peter in her house, there needs to be an addition built. Tammy has had a contractor come look and has found one she likes. She has some money saved for the project, and is patiently waiting for the rest of the money to come in.

I felt a stirring in my heart as Tammy first told me of Peter’s predicament – and I knew the Holy Spirit was getting my attention that what she was saying was super important and I should be listening. I had a sense that I needed to write to all of you and make you aware of this need at K-Home. I really feel like one of you is just waiting for an invitation to give to something personal and worthy – and that this is it. I wanted to be faithful to share with you this opportunity! 

No, this is not Peter! For their safety, I don't use pictures of the K-Home kids. But this is my nephew, McCrady, when he was 6 - just like Peter now. I wanted to use this picture to remind you of how precious 6-year-old little boys are!

No comments:

Post a Comment